Friday, November 25, 2005

First things first...

Sorry Dad. A Belated Happy Birthday to you! I didn't forget, I just didn't get around to making that phone call that I planned on. I know you're in GA but thought I'd call your cell phone anyway. I just never thought about it when it was actually convenient to pick up the phone and call. Hope it was a good one any way.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all! We had a rather quiet holiday here. Usually at least part of Mark's family from Detroit comes to visit. On Tuesday we found out that they couldn't come this way and with Mark working today, we couldn't make it over there. Weatherwise, we had a white Thanksgiving and were under a winter weather warning for subzero wind chills the entire day.

We had the usual huge meal with all the favorites. It is my husband's favorite day to do all the cooking. He does most everything and it is all from scratch. I just contribute the applesauce cinnamon jello and the bran muffins for breakfast.

We watched the Macy's parade and then part of the Lion's getting walked all over. We checked out the ads and played Nascar Monopoly. We finished the evening with "Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving" Special. I probably should have turned in with the kids after that but didn't.

I was never one to think shopping the day after Thanksgiving sounded much like fun but it has become tradition over the past 4 or 5 years. Usually it is my mother-in-law and me but I went solo today. We had found just a couple of bargains today that we wanted to get so I ventured out at 5 a.m. to get them and get home before Mark went to work for 9 a.m. I only had 2 stores to hit and I just barely made it back in time. This was my first year to do Menards on Black Friday and it is the last unless I have someone to hold a place in line while I go around the store getting what I want. The line of cars to get into the parking lot was over 1/2 mile long. The 5-6 lines to check out all stretched at least to the back of the store.

The children weren't exactly thrilled when I walked in the door since I was carrying 2 snow shovels with me. They didn't think they were worth venturing out for. That now gives us 3 shovels and 3 kids...sounds about right to me. They have even went out to "break them in" already today.

We have plenty to keep us busy around here. Since we already have our new artifical tree, we may even try to get it up this weekend but there is lots of cleaning to do before then. Hope all of you had a nice holiday too!